Welcome to my adventure. This blog started out focused on parenting and school but now that Katie's nearly baked, it's way more about me these days. My experiences, more likely my point of view and good times to share.
Welcome! I'm glad to have you aboard.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Best "School Work" Ever: Art Project for the County Fair

When Katie had a fever of 103.5 yesterday, I figured there was no way she was going to be able to create her "Veggie Art" project for the fair today. But at 6:30pm, the fever broke and she started to get a little spunky. So I crossed my fingers and got her to bed at a reasonable time.

Thankfully, this morning she woke up mostly great (you'll still detect some less-than-perky eyes on her) and she wanted to create a project for the County Fair. It's kind of a family tradition and she's placed every year she's had a submission. So I think a little competitiveness was also at play.

She explained her vision to me and for the first time, I had to do the veggie shopping on my own (we were trying to keep her energy level from tanking - she's not 100%). I kind of spazzed out about shopping alone because I realized a lot of the creative process comes from actually touching the various materials. And without her, I was a little lost. But I bought some stuff and brought it home.

Two Rabbits? Seriously? If you say so..

That was her vision. Two rabbits eating carrots. And at first it was clear - on her part - that I had not purchased the right materials. But after we got over arguing, she got started. It took her about two hours but the result is pretty darn cool. [PS: the hardest part of the whole thing? Driving to the fairgrounds without taking out the sculpture due to bumpy roads! I get a stomach ache every time!]

I have no idea how it will do in the competition - we'll know later this week - but are so happy she has an entry and will be part of the event. If you have never created anything with produce - try it! It absolutely changes your relationship with the stuff!

Home School POV
As we worked with the different veggies, some she doesn't eat, I had her taste them and imagine how we might prepare them. She got mired in the smells and textures and it's always a great way to expose her to a bunch of new things she might not yet eat.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment