Welcome to my adventure. This blog started out focused on parenting and school but now that Katie's nearly baked, it's way more about me these days. My experiences, more likely my point of view and good times to share.
Welcome! I'm glad to have you aboard.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Reflections: Week Two - It's So About Me!

Woohoo! We wrapped up the second week of home school and it was better than the first. Well, at least from a "getting actual work done" perspective.

We got some great workbooks and that helped Katie get a bit more excited about doing the work. I think the workbooks feel more familiar to her - more like "real school" as she would say. [And like "real school" if you notice in the photo, she does have one of her favorite deskmates to help her study. That's Lulu the wonder cat - as in we are always wondering what the heck she's getting into.]

I am trying to keep track of what we do during the week based on a form the school gave us - of course I had to customize it to work for me. Story of my life - always making things "better!" That's helping me see how we do across different categories. And as I suspected, I need to beef things up in math and science.

Laundry, Work, Teach, Cook
But the big "wow" I got this week is that this process is a lot about me. I kind of knew this was going to be about me because I was going to have to adapt work a lot to allow for home school. And what we study has to interest me or I am likely to disengage. So the changes I have noticed in my behavior is I now view everything I (or we) do as a "teachable moment." I was already kind of like that - I come from a family of know-it-alls - but now I approach it less from that perspective and more from a why/how point of view.

Another surprise, I didn't expect to enjoy pulling together the curriculum for the coming week so much. I look at what's happening in politics, current events, holidays, local events and celebrations and then work to tie-in where we are with what's going on. I kind of get my rocks off being clever! (Shhh, don't tell Katie, I like her to think she's "discovering" things I kind of leave out.)

I find reviewing her work to be similarly self-satisfying. It's so intimate. And it lets me look for new ways to help her learn where's she struggling.

Here's an example: she's a terrible speller. No secret. I think this because she doesn't read enough. She knows the words - she has a huge vocabulary - but she doesn't see them spelled enough to get the patterns. So now I have the challenge - which I take very personally - to find ways to expose her to more things in writing (without having a fight about reading). Check back for my diabolical plans.

Week Three: Expect the Unexpected
As Katie began this weekend with a huge fever, I realized even my best laid plans will have to remain flexible and adaptable. I am sure the experienced home schoolers out there have written entire chapters about the need for flexibility. I am getting it!

And I can't wait for week three!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment